Preventing Grease Fires
Whether you are cooking in a restaurant or in your own home, a grease fire can quickly become a big disaster. Grease fires can present themselves as a difficult issue since they are notorious for being difficult to put out.
The first reaction to a fire is to pour water on it, which for grease fires, can actually spread the fire and make it worse!! Follow the correct steps below on putting out a grease fire.
How do I put out a Grease Fire?
- Turn off the heat. Make sure to not pick up the pan. Picking up the pan can cause the fire to quickly spread to you or spill onto other surfaces in the kitchen.
- Put a lid on the pan to cut off oxygen to the fire. Once it has sufficiently cooled down, you will be to move and clean it.
- If the fire gets out of hand, make sure to call 911 to get assistance right away from the Cleveland Fire Department.
- NEVER pour water on an active grease fire or fan the fire. Both of these actions will only spread the fire.
- Do NOT fan the fire with a dry or wet cloth, it can make it worse and spread the fire.
- If all else fails, use a fire extinguisher to put out the flame.
How to Prevent A Grease Fire
- Never leave your cooking unattended, always keep an eye on any pots or pans.
- Make sure that you have a sufficiently sized lid for all of your cooking ware.
- Heat the oils in your pans slowly, don't put your stove on the highest setting right off the bat.
- Turn the heat off if you think your pans are getting too hot.
Due to the nature of a grease fire, it is highly recommended that you seek out the help of a professional like SERVPRO of Southern Lorain County for fire restoration help. In addition to cleaning up any damage such as burned materials, soot, or grease, a professional can help your kitchen rid itself of the smoke scent.
Our SERVPRO of Southern Lorain County Team has the knowledge and decades of experience to help you quickly and effectively repair damage from a grease fire.